Sunday, March 13, 2011

six and seven make two...

Ok, so, Saturday was an incredibly busy day, and I didn't end up getting to post, so I am putting days 6 and 7 of the blog challenge together today.

Blog challenge for day 6 is to post your favorite superhero. Well, I have to go with Yvonne on this one, I don't really have one. If I were to pick any superhero, even though technically he isn't a real superhero, I would pick Mario. Super Mario that is. He defeats evil dragons and always saves the princess. That's my kind of guy :)

Blog challenge for day 7 is to pick someone/or something that has had the greatest impact on you.
Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of one of the person who has had the greatest impact on me, because her impact occured almost 20 years ago. My mom probably has a picture of her somewhere, but for now I will just have to tell you why I picked her.

When I was nine years old, I attended my first Vacation Bible School at Sunrise Baptist Church in South Hill, Washington. I attended a class with a teacher by the name of Danielle Mahnkin. That lady was the person who explained who Jesus was to me in such a way that I understood the meaning of his death and why it was such a sacrifice for my life personally. It was at that time I became a believer, and was then baptized as a Christian. Had it not been for her heart for kids and teaching them about the way to Life, who knows when or even if I would have ended up a believer today. I am sure I would have, with other influences in my life inclduing from family members (mom, brother, etc), but obviously the path to get there would have been much different.
I am grateful for people like Danielle who use their gifts to teach others, for she had one of the greatest impacts on my life at that point. I remember her because for years after that she and my mom were friends and we visited with her family and kids frequently until I moved away. Both she and her husband Skip are amazing people and have such great, kind hearts for others. A great example to those who are learning about what it means to follow a life for Christ.

1 comment:

Yvonne [Tried and Tasty] said...

What an awesome testimony. I helped with VBS one year when I was at Mountain View, it was so fun interacting with all of the little kids. I really enjoyed it. That's so great that someone was able to lead you to Christ, this post is a great tribute to Mrs. Mahnkin.