Friday, March 25, 2011

I have a dream

Yesterday ended up being a little bit more busy than I expected, so, I didn't get to blog last night before I finally went to bed.

Here I am, a day late again, but you will get two posts today for your reading pleasure. I know, yay!

Blog challenge day 18: Plans/dreams/goals you have

I will start with a goal because this one was relatively easy for me to come up with.
I would eventually like to go back and get a Ph.D, preferably in some sort of family therapy or childhood development setting, and probably not in the state of Utah. It has been a goal of mine ever since I started college, and I definitely think it is something that God wants me to pursue. When though, that part I don't know yet.
Another goal that somewhat daunts my mind as I think about it is running a full marathon. I have completed 2 half-marathons so far, and I know what my body feels like after 13.1 miles. I can't imagine at this point pushing my body to do twice that amount of work without wanting to fall over and pass out. But, it is still a goal that I would like to achieve...maybe in the next 5 years. It's going to take me a while to work up to that one.

Plans: Chas and I have plans to grow a garden this year. There is a little box in our backyard that we are pretty sure at one point in time was built for a garden. It is overrun with weeds right now and definitely needs a lot of love and work. That's where we come in. We both have been talking about it the past couple of weeks and decided it was an activity that would be a good experience for us to do together. We got some great starting tips and have some family friends that have gardened for a long time so I am sure with their help we will be successful.

Chas and I have also starting talking about tackling our debt and using Dave Ramsey's debt snowball to start getting rid of some of the debt we have both accrued over the past couple of years. We have somewhat started this process since being married and so far have eliminated 2 small debts. Our plan is to eventually be debt free so we can start focusing on saving for other things.

Dreams: When I found out I had celiac, I also found out that in order to have a safe eating environment, I would have to cook a lot more. In doing that, I starting thinking a lot about how amazing it would be to open my own gluten free restaurant and bakery. I am sure there are states out there that have already started this trend, when Chas and I were in Tennessee for Christmas his mom took us to a 1/2 gluten free deli and bakery. Half of the deli was gluten free and half was non gluten free foods. But how cool would it be to have a completely gluten free setting for people with celiac and gluten sensitivity to be able to come to and feel safe knowing there is no concern of cross contamination. At one point in time I told myself that if I could create 20 flavors for gluten free cupcakes, I would open a bakery. I obviously have a long ways to go for that, as my baking and creating skills have been put on hold the past year or so since planning a wedding and getting married. But, that's definitely a dream of mine, to own a gluten free restaurant.

2 comments:

Adrienne Dimond said...

Love your blog posts! You inspire me. Thanks. Scott and I really want to hang out with you guys soon!

Yvonne [Tried and Tasty] said...

These are great. Ph.D. You are one smart cookie! I give you serious props. The garden will be so much fun. We've begun the process too. We are doing it with our friends, John and Keri, in their backyard. We've planted our starters and they are spouting indoors for now, it's amazing to see progression - it's such a miraculous process! Good luck with yours, sounds like you have plenty of people to get advice from.

I say YES to Dave Ramsey. I am a believer in his process. I've read his book one and a half times and we are working like maniacs (ok, not really that fervently (? is that the right word?)) But we are working hard - it's very exciting to see the debt shrink!

I think you would be a FANTASTIC restaurant and bakery owner. How wonderful would that be?! Someday friend - you could make it happen!