Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Making goals, as a married woman

Some events in life just happen on their own.
Some things need a little push from you to make them happen.

Goals are one of those things that don't just happen, you have to create them, you have to shape them, and in the end it feels really good when you meet and finish them.

Chas and I have been married for a whopping 18 days, which means that realistically we haven't had a lot of time yet to set up goals for "us" as a married couple, for setting up our home, for making sure we include Christ in our daily lives, every day. But, we have gotten a few things accomplished, which feels really good. Like setting up the living room, putting furniture together, making sure the fridge is stocked with the must have essentials for the both of us, not just one.

I decided that as a wife, and someone who loves to be in the kitchen and cook, I wanted to have a few goals of my own, just for me. Goals I know both of us will appreciate though because, well, they involve food. And when food is made good, everyone is happy.

I have realized that as someone who loves to cook, cooking takes time, and planning. You can SOMETIMES just pull something together out of nowhere with the ingredients you just happen to have in your kitchen and it will come out tasking somewhat like a recipe that you intended to make.

But for all the other times, cooking requires that you go to the grocery store, purchase what you need, prepare those items, take the meat out of the freezer in enough time to let it thaw, cut, dice, and slice, and then make a meal the way it is intended to be made.

Truth be told, I have never been that great at following directions. Some of you may gasp at that, others may know that is the bold truth about me and you still love me for it anyway. I just have always liked finding my own unique way of doing things, figuring certain things out.
But as I have come to try making gluten free foods, and some of them coming out very badly, I have realized that it is so much more important to prepare and create a gluten free recipe the way it was instructed to be made. Sometimes, as much as I want to, I can't just add a little of this and a little of that. A little of that just might ruin what you were intending to make.

So, with all of that, here is my first goal as a married woman, the start of what will hopefully be a better way for me to express what I am aiming for, have some sort of accountability, and make my husband a happy man :0)

I have really been thinking about making more gluten free recipes. Like recipes that were created with the celiac in mind, prepared with gluten free ingredients (not a regular recipe that I try to substitute GF flours into and come out feeling disappointed), and are meant to be enjoyed and indulged in whole stomach-ly.
I want to try at least 3 gluten free recipes a month.
These can be anything, a salad, a treat, a main meal.
But at this point, the three I am starting with are more treats than meals, blame that one on my sweet tooth. Ha.

So, I will be starting with these three, thanks to Shauna, the creater of the blog Gluten Free Girl. I had gotten away from reading her posts for a while, but I am so glad that I went back. She really has some amazingly tasty recipes on there.

Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls
Gluten Free Cornbread
Gluten Free Flourless Chocolate Cake

If you are at all intrigued as to what gluten free is all about or how to make these recipes yourself, you can check out her place here

Here's to a great start of a gluten free marriage.

2 comments:

Yvonne [Tried and Tasty] said...

Good for you! I know you can do it, if anyone can! Best of luck - I too have a goal of making healthier foods for me and Steve, man - that's tough! I'm looking forward to hearing how the cinnamon rolls turn out!

Amy Pepper said...

Love you post. And what a perfect idea too. I wish I had the drive like you to try making a few different recipes a month. I too love baking, but just have not had that much time lately. Hmmmm......could it be my little princess!?!?! Love ya miss~